Virginia Lake Homes for Sale
Featured Virginia Lake Properties
Incredible Lakefront Wedding Venu...
Lakefront Homes for Sale in Virginia
Living the Lakefront Life
Virginia is home to more than just the Blue Ridge Mountains. Over sixty lakes define the state’s interior and with that many lakes there is something for everyone! With all these options Virginia is listed in the top five states with the most lakefront property and homes for sale. Follow the allure of the water and make your next home one on a lake.
Man-Made versus Natural
Surprisingly only two of the lakes mentioned above are natural lakes! Built for various reasons, the man-made lakes are reservoirs created by building dams and flooding the surrounding valley. While originally built for gristmills, saw wood, or make plaster, most are now for hydropower, flood control, or drinking water. The two natural lakes, Lake Drummond and Mountain Lake, which were most likely formed by rock slides and damming.
Buying a home or land on a lake affords you so many more opportunities for outdoor activities compared to a that of a home downtown. Besides having amazing views of the water, lakefront property allows you to have your own personal area to enjoy many activities. From swimming, water skiing, wake boarding, tubing, as well as the always popular fishing. Popular catches in the state include but are not limited to Crappie, Trout, Bass, Walleye, and Catfish.
There is a Lake type for Everyone
Lakes in Virginia come in all sizes, from large lakes which offer all-sport boating access and public beaches to those that are small and private that you can put a canoe or kayak in and have a relaxing day. If fishing without boat traffic is your speed and you don’t mind rowing, a non-sport lake would be best so that way you don’t have to deal with the waves and traffic. If you have younger kids and want to own a speed boat, then an all-sport lake is a must! There are multiples available of any type of lake as well as different fishing spots.
Ready to Buy, but not sure Where?
There are so many Lakefront homes to choose from in all areas of the state. To help narrow down you choices you will want to ask yourself some questions.
- Will this be a seasonal home or a full-time home?
- What type of activities do you want to partake in?
- Is swimming important?
- Do you want to fish?
- Do you mind power boats and jet skis?
- Do you want to waterski, wakeboard, tube, etc.?
- Do you want a turnkey home or a fixer-upper?
- Lakefront homes are vastly different from lake to lake so it’s important to know what you absolutely want and need.
- How many bedrooms do you want?
- Usually earlier built lakefront homes are smaller with large rooms for fitting as many people in them, so some modifications may be needed.
- Do you want a sunrise or sunset view?
- This is surprisingly important when choosing a home, you may decide you absolutely need one over the other during your buying process.
Whatever you choose there is no wrong answer. Buying a lakefront home is investing in your future memories of fun, laughter, and a peace that you can’t find anywhere else.