WINE COMPANY (5.6 HA VINEYARD) FOR SALE ONE HOUR FROM ROME
WINE COMPANY (5.6 HA VINEYARD) FOR SALE ONE HOUR FROM ROME
On the rolling hills of Umbria not far from Narni and the border with Lazio , a well established winery with 5.6 hectares of vineyards , modern cellar and renovated farmhouse . The vineyard is entirely registered as Umbria PGI (red and white) and allows the production of around 20,000 bottles of wine per year (red, white and rosé).
Located not far from a small center that can offer all the basic services (5km; 10 ‘), the company is easily accessible via the municipal road network and is in a position that allows you to move easily between the most beautiful centers of Umbria and Lazio: Narni, who inspired CS Lewis for the drafting of his novel The Chronicles of Narnia , Terni, Viterbo, the two medieval villages of Spoleto and Todi, Rieti, Orvieto with its splendid cathedral, the “dying country” of Civita di Bagnoregio, Bolsena with the splendid castle overlooking the homonymous lake and the incomparable Rome.
The most convenient airports to reach the property are Rome Ciampino, Perugia San Frrancesco, Rome Fiumicino, Grosseto Baccarini, Naples Capodichino and Pisa Galilei.
DESCRIPTION OF THE BUILDINGS
The farmhouse (440 sq m) was built at the end of the 19th century in stone and tuff. Initially it housed stables and warehouses on the ground floor, with an external staircase leading to the actual house on the first floor. The renovation works have made it possible to reconvert the ground floor for residential use and the farmhouse today has the following configuration:
– Ground floor : entrance with living room, kitchen with fireplace, living room with fireplace, two bedrooms (potentially convertible into one large suite) and a bathroom;
– First floor : four double bedrooms, one with an internal bathroom and a small terrace on the courtyard and one with a balcony on the garden, single bedroom and two bathrooms.
A few meters from the farmhouse there is a small two-story building, the upper level of which is used as a boutique (20 m2) where the company’s products are sold, while the lower floor is occupied by a shed.
In front of the house there is a shed (70 sq m) used as a shed for tools and vehicles used on the land owned.
The cellar (400 sq m) consists of an above-ground section (divided into two blocks) which houses the administrative offices with a toilet, a room for wine tasting, a room with tanks for wine-making, a changing room for employees with a toilet and a laboratory. The underground section, which therefore guarantees a constant and optimal temperature, is almost entirely occupied by rooms for barrels and barriques plus some deposits. The roof of the building is covered by a photovoltaic system (20 kWh).
The company covers around 16 hectares of land. The most interesting part is certainly the vineyard (5.6 ha), made up of numerous varieties and capable of producing up to 15,700 bottles each year.
A small olive grove (0.4 ha) consists of around 60 trees planted between the 1960s and 2000s and capable of producing a small amount of oil.
The arable land (6 ha in total) consists of two distinct areas, one much larger than the other. In this regard, it is interesting to note that this second portion (about 5 ha), adjacent to the existing vineyard, would be perfect for the installation of further rows of vines.
The remaining area (about 4 ha) is occupied in variable parts by arable land, woodland, uncultivated agricultural land, gardens and fruit trees with sufficient space for the construction of a swimming pool.
DETAILS ON WINE PRODUCTION
– Vineyard area : 5.6 hectares (PGI)
– Variety : Sangiovese (14%, TIN10 + VCR5 ), Verdicchio (13%, VE2 + VCR107 ), Cabernet Sauvignon (12%, R5 + Cl15 + 338 ), Trebbiano Spoletino (11%), Montepulciano d’Abruzzo (11% , VCR100 ), Sagrantino (11%, Caprai ), Merlot (10%, 348 + 343 + 181 ), Viognier (9%), Vermentino (9%)
– Plant year : 2004 (Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon, Sagrantino, Merlot) + 2007/2008 (Montepulciano d’Abruzzo, Trebbiano Spoletino, Verdicchio) + 2014 (Vermentino, Viognier)
– Planting : 2.20 x 0.80 m, except Sangiovese (2.00 x 0.80 m)
– Altitude : 250 – 350 m
– Exposure : south / south-east
– Average yield : 35 – 40 q / ha
– Breeding : spurred cordon (35%), Guyot (33%), sapling (32%)
– Annual production : about 20,000 bottles
– Containers : steel fermenters (9 for a total of 235 hl), oak barrels (19 for a total of 70 hl), storage barrels (16 for a total of 82 hl)
– Equipment : destemmer / crusher, single screw rotor pomace pump, wine handling pumps (n.4), pneumatic press, refrigeration units with distribution system to the winemakers (n.2), 10 kWh steam generator, barriques and barrels washing machine , steel cartridge filter, labeling machine, steel bottle storage baskets (n. 12), hand pallet trucks (n. 2), electric pallet truck (n. 1), air conditioning systems (n. 3), air compressor, CO2 extraction and support equipment (including two electric pruning shears)
– Umbria Bianco PGI (A) : Trebbiano 90%, other vines 10%
– Umbria Bianco PGI (B) : 100% Verdicchio
– Umbria Bianco PGI (C) : Vermentino 50%, Viognier 50%
– Umbria Rosso PGI (A) : Sangiovese 50%, Montepulciano 50%
– Umbria Rosso PGI (B) : Sangiovese 40%, Cabernet Sauvignon 20%, Sagrantino 20%, Merlot 20%
– Umbria Rosso PGI (C) : Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Sagrantino, Montepulciano, Sangiovese
– Umbria Rosé PGI : Sangiovese 70%, Cabernet Sauvignon 30%
– Umbria Bianco PGI : about 8,500 bottles
– Umbria Rosso PGI : about 9,500 bottles
– Umbria Rosé PGI : around 1,000 bottles
USES AND POTENTIALITIES
The company is well underway, with an annual production of around 20,000 bottles of excellent PGI wines. The planting of the first vines (2004) bore fruit about two years later with the first vinification (2006). Since then, the company has continued to grow with the planting of new vines and the construction of the current cellar, inaugurated in 2011.
Given the presence of numerous rooms, the farmhouse could be used as a base for an accommodation business, while at the same time making use of the vineyards and the cellar for educational activities for guests.
Furthermore, almost 5 hectares of arable land (adjacent to the existing vineyard) could be converted into vineyards with the planting of new vines and a consequent increase in annual production.